Monday, June 25, 2007

Mountaineer Tri: By the Numbers

Okay, a little time over lunch, some tedious but informative clicking of the mouse and feeling a little better about this weekend. (Not about my performance, mind you. More about my preparedness for next weekend.)

Here's why.

For the life of me, I couldn't find the Mountaineer Tri course (new or old) mapped out on the various mapping services (Mapmyride, Bikely, BT, MotionBased, etc.).

So I spent my lunch making my own. I may be wrong on a turn or two, but I think it's close to accurate.

Here's why I feel a little better.

French Creek debacle ride was 4000 feet of climb in 52 miles.
The Mountaineer will be 2460 feet of climb in 56 miles.

French Creek was constant climbs and rollers.
The Mountaineer is two loops, the beginning and end of each are along the water. Result? The miles 0-5, 25-33, and 53-end are relatively flat. Which means our legs will have some time to rest in between hilly sections. I like rest.

Looks like there are three climbs in each loop on the course. The first at 7, looks like a map anomaly, rather than a real hill. Second, a steady climb from mile 10 to 14. And last, a challenging one from mile 19 to 20. That last one may hurt a little the second time around.

French Creek was a nutritional meltdown.
The Mountaineer will not be a repeat performance of my poor nutrition choices. No way, Jose.

French Creek was a mistake that happened way before I got on the bike that morning.
The Mountaineer will be following a taper, ample hydration and a ton a sleep.


________

My Dad once said that as a child I always had to try things once -- I never could take his word that they were hard or painful. It only took once, but I had to learn from first hand experience. Seems I have brought that approach into my adult life.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I think your thinking is dead-on. Cycling-only courses have a way of being more painful than many (though prob. not all) tri-courses... Cyclists tend to really enjoy pain.

You had a bad course and you weren't prepared (nutritionally speaking)... This weekend will be different. :)

Wes said...

The ride was tough, but the bike is NOT going to kick your ass. Your training is coming along splendidly. You KNOW what you need to do before,during, and after. Execute, execute, execute. When you hit the Mountaineer, you will be an endurance machine. By the numbers, swim, bike, run... You will have a great race, and we'll be here for ya...

Duane said...

Good luck! Hope you have a blast!

LBTEPA said...

Ooooooooooh that last ride sounded nasty!
But you have LEARNED a huge amount, and that's a huge deposit in the bank of IMOO
Enjoy this weekend!

ShirleyPerly said...

I am sure you will not let nutrition be your downfall this time. Good luck and go get 'em!!!

JenC said...

You can totally handle this course. Good luck and have fun!!

the Dread Pirate Rackham said...

Use what you have learned. pace yourself, let it happen.

Remember: feed an athlete, feed an athlete. Eat, drink, rest. Rinse, repeat.

whatever you do, don't let the butterflies stop you cold.

Have fun!

Tony said...

Your confidence and great attitude alone will be a great help on some of those hills. Hydration and rest are at the top of the list, that is for sure.

Steve Stenzel said...

Dad's are always right...