Saturday, December 09, 2006

Ode to Edamame


I'm not even done eating this dinner and I have to post its crazy quick and easy recipe. Thanks to the NHL and M's penchant for naps, I'm on my own for dinner tonight. Here's what came of rather slim pickin's in the fridge. The edamame are the key -- they're so naturally flavorful and ridiculously packed with protein (not to mention the soy benefits). Don't skimp on the butter. A pat won't kill you and it really brings out the flavor.*

1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp butter
1 cup frozen shelled edamame
1-1/2 cups fresh green beans, halved
1/4 cup water
salt, pepper

2 cups cooked brown rice

Saute the frozen edamame in butter and oil combination for 5 minutes on medium heat. (Beware of adding any frozen food to hot oil -- the sputtering can really hurt! Start everything together in the pan if you love the skin on your arms!)

Add the green beans and toss to coat. Season with salt to taste. Add the water and cover, simmering on medium heat for 8-10 minutes or until green beans are crisp-tender. Remove lid and cook for 3 more minutes to cook off any remaining water. Season with ground pepper and salt. Serve over brown rice.

Serves: 2 regular people or 1 hungry triathlete

Yup, that simple. But it's really wonderful on taste. Really.

I'd show a picture, but now it's all gone.

Yum.

* Why butter AND oil? The oil allows the dish to cook at a higher heat, but protects the butter from, literally, burning. So you get the great butter taste and the ability to cook the beans at a relatively high temperature for a short period of time. This works really well with steaks, but you already know my issues with beef.

6 comments:

Trevor Oseen said...

Able, thanks for the visit and congrats on your 1 1/2 years! Life is totally different after the last two years for me; I'll never go back. I put it on my to do list for the week to make this wee snack.

Trevor

the Dread Pirate Rackham said...

Mmm...Edamame...my favourite! I wish my kiddos were bigger on it - its proteiny goodness is just so...happy.

Alas, they are not. sigh.

I'll keep torturing them with it, nonetheless.

greyhound said...

Is "proteiny" a word? I confess I did not know the butter/oil trick. Devlishly clever. And I love the line about serves two people or one hungry triathlete. I feel like I've got a tapeworm sometime.

Duane said...

They are tasty! My wife is from Hawaii and they eat them a lot. They are addicting!

Jeremy said...

Mmmm...I love edamame!

Different topic...I've been meaning to ask...did I completely miss the promised "celebrity sightings, crowd favs, and porta-pottie musings" from the mara., or are they still on their way?

momo said...

yum, sounds good, thanks for the recipe!